The church of San Bartolomeo (1750), which stands at the end a large double staircase, overlooks the square (Dell’Unità d’Italia) below from its high position. It is a refined and elegant baroque style building placed in a contemporary urban space whereas different architecture styles, ranging from baroque to art nouveau to rationalism, coexist together. The façade has two orders which give elegance to the structure and where late baroque style elements are combined with neoclassical ones.
Also, the three portals of the first order, the window of the second order and the arch at the top of the vault, together with two pairs of pilaster strips in the middle, give harmony to the façade and the whole structure.
The central bronze door, made by sculptor Pirrone from Noto, depicts episodes of San Corrado Confalonieri’s life. Above the portal it is represented the Statella family’s coat of arms (it was a noble family of French origin that ruled Spaccaforno, today known as Ispica, until the nineteenth century).
The interior is divided into three naves separated by Tuscan order pillars and it has no decorations. However, this lack of decorations highlights the elegant rhythm of the windows of the second order, which are divided by a set of lunettes (crescent-shaped openings in the vaulted roof).